NIH is migrating from an NIH voice mail system to an HHS voice mobility platform
NIH is changing to an HHS voice mobility platform because the existing system is 18 years old and replacement parts, as well as maintenance, are no longer provided by the manufacturer. There is also limited ability to increase the number of mailboxes on the current system. The most important thing to do is to initialize your voice mail password before the transition date. If you do not initialize your voice mail password, you will not be able to access your voice mail box. If you lose access, contact the NIH IT Service Desk by calling 301-496-4357 or submitting a service ticket at http://itservicedesk.nih.gov/support/. (When filling out the online form, select Telecommunications then Telephone Features.)
How do I initialize my voice mailbox passcode? (You only need to initialize ONCE by using phone OR web)
- Log in to your voice mail by calling the new access number 301-435-5000.
- Enter your voice mailbox number beginning with 7 or 8.
- The temporary passcode for your new mailbox is 12357.
- The system will request that you setup a new passcode for your mailbox (you can use your existing passcode if it meets the requirements). The passcode must be all numbers with a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 digits long. It should not begin with a zero.
- Log out of your new mailbox by pressing ** and then hang up.
- Go to your internet browser and type the following address or click on the hyperlink https://vm.hhs.avayagovos.com/subscriber.
- Enter your voice mailbox number beginning with 7 or 8
- Enter your temporary passcode of 12357 in the passcode prompt
- Click the "log in" button.
- The next screen will ask you to enter your current passcode (which is your temporary passcode: 12357)
- Create a new passcode (or you can use your existing passcode if it meets requirements). The passcode must be all numbers with a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 digits long. It should not begin with zero.
- Re-enter your new passcode.
- Please click "apply" when complete.
- Click the "EXIT" button in the top right hand corner.
If you have any questions or problems, please submit a service ticket to the NIH IT Service Desk at http://itservicedesk.nih.gov/support or by calling 301-496-4357 (local), 866-319-4357 (toll-free) or 301-496-8294 (TTY).
After October 25, 2010, you will dial a new number to access your voice mailbox. The new number is 301-435-5000 or toll-free 888-HHS-MSGS (888-447-6747).
Additional facts and information
- After the transition there will be only one voice mail access number 301-435-5000 or toll-free 888-HHS-MSGS (888-447-6747).
- The Getting Started Guide is a two page quick reference guide.
- The User’s Guide contains more detailed information about new features.
- Voice Mobility web access (https://vm.hhs.avayagovos.com/subscriber) allows you to update or change personal settings. Log in with your telephone number and voice mail password. The above guides are also located under the "Help" link of your Voice Mobility subscriber webpage.
- Please reference the list of Frequently Asked Questions to clarify any additional questions about your Voice Mobility mailbox.